Welcome to our final edition of our cooking with Parmigiano Reggiano series. In this final iteration, we decided to take a light approach and create a vegetarian dish (or a side dish for those who aren’t vegetarians). Munch Miami’s very own Sweet Potato Cakes crusted with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. As you may already know from our previous posts, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is made with just three ingredients: superb milk, sea salt, and natural rennet. No additives or preservatives are used, ever, to make the real parmesan cheese. This is why it is considered by many to be “the king of cheeses.”
Sweet Potato Parmigiano Cakes with Kale Chips:
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp dry oregano
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Kale leaves (optional)
- Fill a pot with enough water to cover all 4 potatoes and set it to boil
- Wash, peel, and chop sweet potato into 3/4″ cubes
- Place potatoes in pot with boiling water for approximately 15 minutes (until tender)
- Use a box grater to shred your Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (the more the better)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Wash Kale leaves and remove from stem
- Coat a cooking sheet with Olive Oil.
- Dry and place Kale leaves side by side without overlapping them.
- Condiment with a pinch of: black pepper, red pepper, salt, and oregano
- Once oven is ready, place Kale leaves in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove and strain your Sweet Potato from the pot, and put it back in the same pot once strained.
- Add oregano, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and stir.
- Gradually add the shredded Parmigiano Reggiano and keep stirring. Let cool.
- Remove Kale from oven and sprinkle with left over shredded Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Place a pan on the stove with 1 tbsp of Olive Oil.
- Scoop about 20, 1″ balls of your Sweet Potato mix and place on a frying pan.
- Squish down until you have a flattened pancake, no more than 1″ thick.
- Flip occasionally until both sides are golden brown.
- Remove from pan and set aside (give them a round shape if needed)
- Sprinkle with grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.