Munch Miami was graciously invited to participate in a Parmigiano Reggiano themed cooking class at the Biltmore Culinary Academy. The event was sponsored by the Parmigiano Reggiano Consortium and the main ingredient for all the dishes of the evening was (the real) Parmesan Cheese!
This was one of Munch Miami’s favorite events of all time and we wanted to share the recipe for our favorite dish of the night:
Parmigiano Reggiano Taco Shells with Cuban Picadillo:
*This recipe serves 4 people
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 medium white onion (chopped fine)
- 1 small green pepper (chopped)
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 small potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 8 to 10 green olives (pitted)
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for sautéing
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- Parmigiano Reggiano (grated as needed)
* In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
* In a frying pan, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onions, green pepper, and garlic until soft.
* Add the ground beef mixture, beef stock, and tomato sauce. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
* Add the diced potato. Cover and cook another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are done.
* Remove the cover. Add the olives and cook uncovered 15 minutes or until the liquid is fully evaporated, but the meat is still moist.
* Grate Parmigiano Reggiano into circular molds and melt in the oven at 375 degrees for 5 minutes (Must be melted but not so melted that it sticks to the other circles)
* Serve the Parmigiano Reggiano Taco shells in a taco stand and fill with your Cuban Picadillo.
* Top with grated Parmigiano Reggiano & thinly sliced tomatoes