As an Ambassador of Parmigiano Reggiano, we kick off our Parmigiano Reggiano recipe segment for this year with a seasonally delicious fall favorite: Butternut Squash Parmigiano Carbonara. Thick and creamy, aromatic and cheesy, with crispy bacon for added flavor and crunchiness. (You can also check out our pasta post from last year by clicking here!)
Butternut Squash Parmigiano Carbonara:
- Servings: 4
- 6 slices (6 oz) bacon, chopped or crumbled after cooking
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 small yellow onion , chopped (1 heaping cup)
- 4 cups of (1.75 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (or half and half for a lighter option)
- 14 oz dry gluten free linguine
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmigiano Reggiano cheese for mixing plus more for serving
- Begin boiling 4 – 6 quarts of water in a pot for your pasta.
- Cook 6 strips of bacon in pan until brown and crisp.
- Add chopped sage to bacon and stir.
- Remove bacon from pan and place atop paper towels to dry (do not discard of bacon drippings!!!).
- Add chopped onions to the same pan with the bacon droppings and sautee 2 minutes.
- Add chopped butternut squash cubes to same pan and season with salt and pepper, tossing every minute for 7 minutes.
- Add your pasta to the boiling pot of water.
- Cook for 10 – 12 minutes
- Add minced garlic to pan and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into same pan and sprinkle with Nutmeg.
- Set pan temperature to High and let chicken broth boil until half is evaporated (about 10 – 15 minutes).
- Let mixture cool and transfer to a blender.
- Add heavy cream to the blender.
- Pulse your blender until squash and onions have pureed.
- Once pasta is done, drain pasta, and place in the pan used for cooking bacon and vegetables.
- Remove sauce from blender and pour on top of the pasta.
- Stir as sauce is poured.
- Add Parmigiano Reggiano cheese to the finished product and stir.
- Serve the pasta, sprinkle with chopped or crumbled bacon and MORE Parmigiano Reggiano.